The famous Angostura Global Cocktail Challenge 2018 competition takes place on February 11th, 2018, at the House of Angostura. The event will see eleven gifted bartenders demonstrate their inventiveness and skill as they find creative uses for world-famous Angostura aromatic bitters, Angostura orange bitters, Angostura Rums and Amaro di Angostura in a Cocktail Competition.
The Competitors, representing Australia, USA, Canada, Latin America, United Kingdom, Europe, Middle East & Africa, New Zealand and Trinidad and Tobago, will make two cocktails in seven minutes:
- An Amaro Cocktail using Amaro di Angostura as a key ingredient, and Angostura aromatic bitters and/or Angostura orange bitters
- A “Rum Cocktail” using Angostura International rums and Angostura aromatic bitters and/or Angostura orange bitters
Cocktails will be judged on the taste of the drink, presentation, appearance and aroma, charm and storytelling and category knowledge.
The winner of the Finals will be awarded the coveted title of “Angostura Global Cocktail Challenge Champion,” a cash prize of US$10,000 and a two-year contract to serve as the Angostura Global Brand Ambassador, representing world-famous Angostura aromatic bitters, Angostura orange bitters, Angostura Rums and Amaro di Angostura.
Judging the competition will be a world-famous panel led by renowned drinks personality Mike Ryan (Kimpton’s Director of Bars). Mike’s experience in the culinary and bar industry spans 15-plus years. Mike’s primary responsibilities on the core beverage team involve training and educating on-the-ground bartenders.
Monica Berg is one of the leading bartenders to come out of Scandinavia, with a background from Oslo, Norway. She is highly praised for her innovative flavor combinations and experimental techniques, as well as her minimalistic and elegant style when it comes to cocktails.
A globally recognized personality and thought-leader in the world of mixed drinks, JJ Goodman is the Founder and Owner of The London Cocktail Club bar group, Craft Cocktail Co. bottled cocktails and Keystones Cocktail Club. Infatuated with bartending from a young age, JJ firmly established himself as an innovator in the drinks industry before opening his first bar at the age of 24 in 2008. Since then he has opened seven cocktail bars across London, pioneered revolutionary cocktail trends and through a series of accolades is now looked upon as one of the globe’s greatest drinks’ minds.
Trinidad & Tobago’s very own Neal Ramdhan, winner of the Angostura Global Cocktail Challenge 2016, and; Carol Homer-Caesar, Angostura’s Senior Manager – Quality Assurance, at Angostura Limited will join our judging panel.
According to the website: “We use a 5-Step Rating Scale for scoring the AGCC. This is used both to score your cocktail and to score you, the bartender. The Rating Scale is as follows:
- Best in the world – Your cocktail could be from one of the World’s 50 Best Bars; You are good enough to be nominated for a Tales of the Cocktail Spirited Award.
- Best in the country – Your cocktail could be from one of the country’s best cocktail bars; You are good enough to be nominated for a national or regional award.
- Good – Your cocktail could be from one of the city’s best cocktail bars; You are good enough to stand out from the crowd locally.
- Adequate – Your cocktail could be from an average-standard local cocktail bar; You are OK but not exceptional.
- Needs work – Below average.
Each step has a corresponding amount of points. Judges only have to choose the Step to which an entrant belongs, because the number of points per step is pre-determined.”